Crystal Mountain Evacuated As Norse Peak Fire Rages
The Norse Peak Fire continues its steady growth toward 20,000 acres as flames force the evacuation of Crystal Mountain Ski Resort.
This morning fire managers reported that yesterday fire growth on both the Norse Peak and American fires forced evacuations in the Crystal Mountain Ski Resort and surrounding neighborhoods to the west and the Bumping Lake area south.
A Level 3 Evacuation Notice has been issued for Pierce County residents in the Gold Hill Community, Pick Handle Basin and the Crystal Mountain Ski Resort. Bumping Lake is also under a Level 3 evacuation.
Level 3 is a “Go” situation as current conditions could pose immediate threats to life and safety. Residents might not be allowed to return until conditions are safe.
To the east, the fire crossed the eastern wilderness boundary north of Hell’s Crossing. Spotting occurred in the southern region of the fire with increased fire activity along State Road 410. Structure protection personnel installed or are working to install hose lays in the summer tract areas and plumb the facilities for sprinklers and will continue working toward the east.
- In Pierce County, Crystal Mountain Blvd and State Route 410 between mile posts 66 to 69.
- Hwy 410 in Yakima County, mile posts 70 to 89. Area closed is from Chinook Pass to Bumping River Road.
- The 1900 or Little Naches Road is closed at the intersection of 1900 and 1902. Kaner Flat and Little Naches campgrounds and the Little Naches Summer Home tract remain open.
- Bumping River Road and the trails north of the road are closed to access. Facilities and amenities along the road to the lake such as Goose Prairie, the Bumping Lake Marina, Chinook Outfitters, etc. are closed.
- The Pacific Crest Trail is closed from Chinook Pass to Government Meadow.