New Words Added To The Dictionary For 2012 (LANGUAGE)
Merriam-Webster has a new list of words that they have added to the Dictionary for 2012! Funny as hell! I guess I never thought that anyone would need to look up what sexting means but, if you do, it is now in the Dictionary!
Here is a list of some of the new words that have been added to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary!
- aha moment - : a moment of sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension. First known use of aha moment was in 1939
- bucket list - a list of things that one has not done before but wants to do before dying. The first known use of bucket list was in 2006
- cloud computing - the practice of storing regularly used computer data on multiple servers that can be accessed through the Internet. The first known use of cloud computing was in 2006.
- copemicium - a short-lived artificially produced radioactive element that has 112 protons. First known use of copemicium was in 2009.
- earworm - a song or melody that keeps repeating in one's mind. First known use of earworm was in 1802.
- energy drink - a usually carbonated beverage that typically contains caffeine and other ingredients (as taurine and ginseng) intended to increase the drinker's energy. First known use of energy drink was in 1904.
- f-bomb - the word fuck —used metaphorically as a euphemism <accidentally dropped an f–bomb on television — Timothy Kurkjian>. The first known use of f-bomb was in 1988.
- game changer - a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way. The first known use of game changer was in 1993.
- gassed- slang for drunk or slang for drained of energy. Spent or exhausted. The first known use of gassed was in 1909.
- gastropub - a pub, bar, or tavern that offers meals of high quality. First known use of gastropub was in 1996.
- man cave - a room or space (as in a basement) designed according to the taste of the man of the house to be used as his personal area for hobbies and leisure activities. First known use of the word was in 1992.
- mash-up - something created by combining elements from two or more sources. A piece of music created by digitally overlaying an instrumental track with a vocal track from a different recording. First known us of mash-up was in 1859
- sexting - the sending of sexually explicit messages or images by cell phone. The first known us of sexting was in 2007.
- systemic risk - the risk that the failure of one financial institution (as a bank) could cause other interconnected institutions to fail and harm the economy as a whole. First known use of systemic risk was in 1982.
- underwater - lying, growing, worn, performed, or operating below the surface of the water <underwater plants>. First known use of underwater was in 1627.
Well it is a damn good thing they added these or we would have never known! HA Thank god for dictionary updates.