‘The Ultimate Metallica Show’ Recap: Bobby Keller Shares Metallica Memories + More
On the latest Ultimate Metallica Show, we pulled out all the stops as we welcomed the Florida Fret Burner himself, Bobby Keller, to the airwaves.
Keller is a massive Metallica fan and a killer guitarist, so we had plenty to talk about, including how James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett are two of the biggest—maybe the biggest—influences in his own musical journey.
"If it wasn't for Metallica, I wouldn't be here."
Keller picked four of his favorite 'Tallica tunes to play on the show and even shared some of his most beloved memories—like waiting in line 12 hours so he could stand against the barricade to see The Big 4 in Indio, California. To wrap up the conversation, we took Keller's latest single, "Perpetual Dreams," out for a spin, too.
You can see the complete playlist and hear audio clips of me and Keller chatting about all things Metallica in the full recap below. And don't forget: you can stream the show in its entirety right here.
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 1
- "Lux Æterna" — 72 Seasons
- "Blackened" — Live at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, Irvine, California, Sept. 23, 1989
"["Whiplash"] reminds me of Johnny and Marsha [Zazula]...Every time I hear it, I'm like, 'This is for you Johnny.' Every time. I can't not think of him."
- "Whiplash" — Kill 'Em All
- "Stone Cold Crazy" — Garage Inc.
"...one of the best thrash songs of all time."
- "Master of Puppets" — Master of Puppets
- "Hardwired" — Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
- "Low Man's Lyric" — Reload
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 2
"This whole song is like this musical journey for me. Kirk's solo is just one of the best."
- "Ride the Lightning" — Ride the Lightning
- "Sad But True" — Live at Richfield Coliseum, Cleveland, Ohio, Dec. 1, 1991
- "Blitzkrieg" — Live at Hard Rock Live, Hollywood, Florida, Nov. 6, 2022
- "One" — Live at Highmark Stadium, Buffalo, New York, Aug. 11, 2022
"That intro bass line. Jason is something else. I feel such a connection with that song. We gotta play a deep cut."
- "My Friend of Misery" — Metallica
- "Perpetual Dreams" — Bobby Keller
- "Hit the Lights" — Kill 'Em All
Make sure to stay in touch with Keller via his official website and Instagram.
On the next Ultimate Metallica Show, Mark Tremonti will join us to talk about why Master of Puppets is his favorite record of all time and he'll even share some pretty amazing Metallica memories. If you want to join the conversation, you can send me a message anytime in the Ultimate Metallica app.